-
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Greetings and welcome to The Football Net. We love talking balls, do you?


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. Therefore you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, take part in the banter, vote in polls and enjoy fun competitions such as fantasy football and the betting exchange. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join us today on our football forums to talk balls with us!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bernie In Talks With Donington
Topic Started: Jun 20 2008, 05:28 PM (205 Views)
Woody
Member Avatar
Grade A Leprechaun
The ongoing saga over the future of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone has taken a further twist with Bernie Ecclestone revealing he is in talks with Donington Park over the possibility that it could take over the race.


Silverstone’s future beyond the end of 2009 has yet to be resolved, with Ecclestone, a long-time critic of the circuit, saying last month that the circuit’s owners the BRDC had to meet the terms of the deal he had offered to remain on the calendar.


In addition to the financial demands, the Northamptonshire venue also has to improve its facilities and recently gained planning permission to build a new pit and paddock complex as the first stage to a wider redevelopment scheme.


But two weeks before this year’s Silverstone race, Ecclestone has cranked up the pressure on the circuit by revealing to The Times that Donington could be another option in order to keep a British round on the calendar.

“We are discussing the possibility of reaching an agreement with Donington to host the British Grand Prix,” Ecclestone told the newspaper.




“We are trying to save the British Grand Prix and we want it to be staged at a venue which befits an event of its stature.




“I’ve been in negotiations for a long time and whether or not we’re going to do a deal with Donington or Silverstone, I don’t know.”




Donington has only ever staged one F1 race under the banner of the European GP in 1993 and would need substantial redevelopment work to bring it up to modern-day F1 standards.




Ecclestone, however, reckons there would be more chance of its owners meeting his requirements than the BRDC.




“Donington have said they are going to build everything we want,” he said.




“Have they got the money? Only time will tell. But I think there is more chance of Donington having the money than the BRDC.”




Nevertheless despite confirming talks with Donington, Ecclestone admitted he only put a 50% chance on a deal being done with either circuit for 2010.


“If I was a betting man, I’d say the chances of there being a British Grand Prix are still 50-50,” he added.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Formula 1 · Next Topic »
Add Reply

-- -