-
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Greetings and welcome to The Football Net. We love talking balls, do you?

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. Therefore you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, take part in the banter, vote in polls and enjoy fun competitions such as fantasy football and the betting exchange. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join us today on our football forums to talk balls with us!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Arming British Police; In favour or not?
Topic Started: Sep 19 2012, 06:23 PM (2,144 Views)
UwesGrandad
Member Avatar
El Mago
In light of the most recent Police killings of WPC's Nicola Hughes & Fiona Bone do you think its about time British Police were armed?

From what i've read and heard of this case i dont think guns would have saved these women as they were basically ambushed by Dale Cregan without notice.

But with how Britain has changed and is changing with terrorism, a rise in gangland killings, eastern european organised crime, rise in armed robberys etc is it about time we gave our Police a fighting chance?

There are lots of pro's and con's to any arguement such as the risk of regular criminals arming themselves to counter Police arming, Police shooting agressive but non-treatening civilians etc....plus i dont think the Police themselves are too in favour of arming but what do people on here think?

*sorry, dont know how to add a poll?
Edited by UwesGrandad, Sep 19 2012, 06:24 PM.
Will be keeping Cech in my pocket for the next 3 months. Thanks Pedro :thumb:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Derry Pele
Member Avatar
Free Suarez
Britian hasn't changed in terms of terrorism sure we have been bombing you lot since the late 60's :thumb: infact if anything its safer now you just have a bunch of nutters half way around the world making false threats :lol:
F**k Damien Duff
Posted Image

UwesGrandad
Member Avatar
El Mago
The Derry Pele
Sep 19 2012, 09:04 PM
Britian hasn't changed in terms of terrorism sure we have been bombing you lot since the late 60's :thumb: infact if anything its safer now you just have a bunch of nutters half way around the world making false threats :lol:
Yeah granted guns will do fork all when its against some retard with a bomb strapped to him or a car bomb.

However we've seen all round the world recently where nutters run riot with guns in public, in america, recently in Norway and closer to home Roul Moat here in England.

If this happened in a major british shopping centre, the bullring, trafford centre etc lives could be saved by having on site police armed instead of having to wait for an armed response unit? Currently when a madman goes on the rampage our bobbies are as much use as clown in a bull fight. Just one example.

I've never personally been in favour of arming our police before as i think it may encourage criminals to increase their arsenal when commiting crimes but i kind of wonder how much longer it'll be until they do?

The Derry Pele
Member Avatar
Free Suarez
UwesGrandad
Sep 20 2012, 09:20 AM
The Derry Pele
Sep 19 2012, 09:04 PM
Yeah granted guns will do fork all when its against some retard with a bomb strapped to him or a car bomb.

However we've seen all round the world recently where nutters run riot with guns in public, in america, recently in Norway and closer to home Roul Moat here in England.

If this happened in a major british shopping centre, the bullring, trafford centre etc lives could be saved by having on site police armed instead of having to wait for an armed response unit? Currently when a madman goes on the rampage our bobbies are as much use as clown in a bull fight. Just one example.

I've never personally been in favour of arming our police before as i think it may encourage criminals to increase their arsenal when commiting crimes but i kind of wonder how much longer it'll be until they do?
But surely their are armed units of the police ready to deploy for a situation like that? Infact they would possible be quicker to respond to a situation like that that an officer on foot, I'm sure most major shopping centers or places with large number of people are often very close to a police station. I know the Gardai have an armed branch ready for deployment in situations like that and detectives carry guns in situations such as armed robbery, drug busts etc.

All you need to do is look at America to prove the fact that coppers having guns won't make the problem go away, these guys will just arm themselves better(better than the police in most cases) to combat it.
F**k Damien Duff
Posted Image

Dotty
Member Avatar
Stuck up bastard
Giving coppers guns just swings the pendulum the other way, we don't want to be getting into a situation where the police's first reaction to a situation is to gun someone down.

Plonker
Member Avatar
Oracle of Truth.
That's exactly what happened to the illegal Brazilian guy when he was running from the police, they just shot him.
Posted Image

Stryke
Star of Brokeback Mountain
Vienna69
Sep 20 2012, 03:12 PM
That's exactly what happened to the illegal Brazilian guy when he was running from the police, they just shot him.
Put that in context though. If I remember correctly (feel free to let me know otherwise). Tube system recently bombed. Building containing suspects under surveillance. One suspect leaves building with bag and heads towards Tube station. Police intercept him, he runs away, into the Tube station with bag. If that situation is correct i'd have shot him as well. Saying that "they just shot him" implies a level of carelessness and callousness that i don't think was there.

In fact just disregard the post, I decided to read into it and it isn't what I remembered.

Edited by Stryke, Sep 20 2012, 03:38 PM.
Sponsored by 'Statistics R Us'

UwesGrandad
Member Avatar
El Mago
I think part of the reason the Police dont want to be armed is because as mentioned criminals level of chosen weapon may also go up plus if a Police man/woman are somehow disarmed by a criminal they are potentially in more harm than they would be now.

I kind of like how it is and i think our Police officers do an amazing job under strained conditions in order to keep the peace.
I know if i was put in the situation of having some of lifes scum screaming/spitting in my face while i was doing my job the last thing i need is a gun, cos i'd probably use it! :lol:

For me i wouldn't arm ordinary officers. I just have a feeling it isn't too far away before they will be.

redDevilMoe
Member Avatar
Unwashed Pimple
NO

I respect the difficult job policemen and women do every single day but lets be honest here we arent dealing with the smartest group of people on the planet.

So we take people who on average arent that bright, put them in highly pressurized situations usually with little back up and to make things better you propose throwing guns into the mix.

fork that
Posted Image

UwesGrandad
Member Avatar
El Mago
redDevilMoe
Sep 25 2012, 02:46 AM
NO

I respect the difficult job policemen and women do every single day but lets be honest here we arent dealing with the smartest group of people on the planet.

So we take people who on average arent that bright, put them in highly pressurized situations usually with little back up and to make things better you propose throwing guns into the mix.

fork that
I'm sure if it happened there would be criteria to meet and experience levels etc. I dont think we should arm our police either but not for the same reasons as you.

Our Police aren't smart? On avearge 'not that bright'??? Fork me :doh:

redDevilMoe
Member Avatar
Unwashed Pimple
How many straight A students and Cambridge undergraduates do you think become policemen?
Posted Image

Kenny_lfc
Member Avatar
Sausage Warrior
The other problem you have as well is that as soon as a British copper discharges their weapon whether for doing the right thing or whatever, they are basically desk bound for around 6 months whilst an investigation is taken place ballistics gathered etc... Basically a long time to wait to have confirmed that you shot someone for the right reason. That will put coppers off having weapons.
Also we know our police are heavily influenced by politics and stats rather then fighting crime...
Posted Image

UwesGrandad
Member Avatar
El Mago
redDevilMoe
Oct 3 2012, 01:24 AM
How many straight A students and Cambridge undergraduates do you think become policemen?
Very few mate....but how many are in the Army...? And they are in control of much more than a gun.

You are confusing high intelligence with common sense and life experience. they are not the same.

I work with lots of very educated people, some are scientists in their field. They could probably work out how long it would take me to circumnavigate the earth hopping on one leg blowing a whistle whilst also telling me how wind resistance from the whistle would impact on my journey time......but Ive seen one scratching around in our works kitchen looking for a tin opener whilst holding a pull-ring tin of beans. Should he have a gun??? In fact thinking about it most of them struggle with anything that requires basic common sense. Maybe you can call one of them if god forbid you get mugged or burgled or worse???

Our Police are not perfect but they are amongst the best trained in the world, in fact our Police train those from other countries so im just saying your dig at their intelligence is wide of the mark and not relevant to the question/debate.

Jimmymac™
Member Avatar
Inspirational
Well said uwe, some of th most intelligent people I know have fork all common sense. I'd probably trust a straight A student/ Cambridge undergrad less with a gun than a copper

Wee Eck
Member Avatar
Token Jock
Uwe you hit the nail on the head with that intelligence thing.
Regarding firing a weapon, I know from my time in the forces that if I had shot someone in the line of duty within this Country I would have been suspended from duty and also put under investigation to determine if I was legally allowed to fire my weapon. You need to prove that either your or another persons life was under direct immenant threat and that no other course of action would have prevented a lose of innocent life, if the criminal for instance shot a load of people but upon your arrival stopped firing or aiming his weapon you have no legal right to shoot unless he re aims his weapon at a person.

From a goverment point of view they dont have the money to train and arm the police to make it possible so it wont happen for many years anyway.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Mass Debate Parlour · Next Topic »
Add Reply

-- -